4/23/14

VOLUNTEER PARK CAFE




We took a break from the city and headed to Capitol Hill for lunch. The drive there was my favorite part. There were incredible views of the water, boat harbor, mountains and the houses were adorable. Driving through the neighborhoods with all the trees and cute cottages melted my heart.

In the middle of a residential neighborhood was Volunteer Park Cafe. It used to be an old grocery store but two friends bought it and started up a cafe. They are serving up breakfast, lunch and dinner plus lots and lots of pastries. The cafe is known for their pastries because all the recipes are from the owners grandmother. I mean, who doesn't love grandma's cooking. When first walking into Volunteer Park it reminded me of a rustic home.

What made me interested in this place was that all of their ingredients are fresh and most of them are grown in their backyard garden. How awesome is that. My sister and I shared the herb roasted chicken and arugula panini. It was amazingly good. Everything tasted fresh and felt so good going down the pipes. My mom had a chicken noodle soup with matzo balls. It was the perfect meal for a nippy day in Washington. I would come back to Volunteer Park but not only for the yummy food. I would come back for the kind workers and the wonderful homey ambiance.

xo. Laur

No comments:

Post a Comment